The city of Chicago will release the police dash-cam video of the shooting of 25-year-old Ronald Johnson next week, according to Mayor Rahm Emanuel.
Johnson was shot by then-Tactical Officer Gerorge Hernandez in October 2014, just days before the shooting of Laquan McDonald by Officer Jason Van Dyke. Johnson began running from cops once a car he was riding in with friends was stopped by police. None of the officers who were chasing Johnson from the inital stop fired their weapons. Hernandez arrived in an unmarked squad car during the chase and jumped out of the vehicle wielding his gun. He then shot five rounds at Johnson within two seconds of exiting his vehicle. Two of the rounds hit Johnson, one in the back of his shoulder -- which was the fatal shot -- and one in the back of the knee.
Police argued that Johnson pointed a gun at them while resisting arrest, causing Hernandez to fire his weapon, but Johnson's family attorney says he did not have a gun at the time of the shooting. Officers also say that Johnson was a known gang member that fit the description of someone from a shots fired call earlier in the evening.
The attorney for Johnson's family, Michael Oppenheimer, says police violated protocol by talking to dispatch on their personal cell phones shortly after the shooting. Oppenheimer also states that the car with the dash-cam video of the incident began moving after the shooting, and as a result, there is no video of what police officers did directly after the incident.
The city had previously fought calls for the video to be made public, even arguing in a court filing as recently as October 30 that doing so would undermine Hernandez's right to a fair trial and the video would incite public unrest. Johnson's family filed a lawsuit calling for the video to be released, which has been vehemently argued against by the city until now. Meanwhile, for the first time, the Cook County State's Attorney's office has announced that possible criminal charges are being considered in the case. Like Van Dyke, Hernandez has been on paid desk duty since the October 2014 shooting.