Illinois is proceeding with plans for the stalled passenger rail project linking the Quad Cities to Chicago.
The Rauner administration, which put the project on hold last year pending a review, made that announcement Tuesday.
The federal government committed to making a $177 million investment in the transportation project, and the funds are slated to expire at the end of June.
U.S. Rep. Cheri Bustos (D-IL,17), who has been urging the administration to move forward with the project, says she will press for a grant extension.
"I am glad that we were able to convince Governor Rauner to stop stalling and move toward accepting this $177 million job-creating federal investment, however his decision to wait until the last minute means that the Federal Rail Administration must decide whether to allow an extension on this project," Bustos said in a statement.
"Times are tough across Illinois and every dollar spent on infrastructure creates about two dollars worth of new economic investment. By completing this project, we'll make our community more attractive to businesses while putting Illinoisans back to work. While the State's decision to move ahead is a step in the right direction, our work to secure the future of this project is not finished and I will be working to do everything in my power to make sure we succeed."