Chicago Public Schools district officials released a proposed list of school closings and consolidations Tuesday for the 2015-2016 school year as the teachers union prepares to take up a strike vote next week.
"During the past few months, we have engaged LSCs, parents and principals throughout the city about how to best modify schools so that they align with the needs of families and communities," CPS CEO Forrest Claypool said in a statement. "Community input has played an important role in informing these proposed actions, and we believe these modifications will allow us to better use our limited resources to meet students' needs."
Here is a full list of proposed CPS consolidations and closings:
- Consolidation of Austin Polytechnical Academy, Austin Business and Entrepreneurship, and VOISE Academy, and Boundary Change of Frederick A. Douglass Academy
- Consolidation of Mary Mapes Dodge Renaissance Elementary Academy and Morton School of Excellence
- Co-location of John Spry Community School with Maria Saucedo Elementary Scholastic Academy and Telpochcalli Elementary School
- Co-location of KIPP Elementary School with Orr Academy High School
- Closure of Moses Montefiore Special Elementary School Due to Zero Student Enrollment
- Closure of Marine Military Math and Science Academy Due to Zero Student Enrollment
Read more about each proposal and get community meeting dates for the respective school actions here.